October 6, 2016
If you use Facebook Messenger, it is now possible to encrypt your messages with Secret messages. Secret messages don't allow use of your location, payments or third-party apps so what you send is a bit more restricted.
Here is how you can take advantage of the Secret Messages feature:
- Open Facebook Messenger
- Select the "Me" icon at the bottom
- Click on "Secret Conversations"and make sure the switcher is set to "on"
When you are ready to send a secret message:
- Click on the "New Message" icon
- In the upper right corner, click on "Secret"
- Select the friend you want to send your encrypted message to
- Select your phone as default device, if asked
- Send your message
The message will be end-to-end encrypted and you can set a timer to have it self-destruct - anywhere from 5 seconds to 1 day after they are read.
That's really all there is to it.
For more information, visit this Facebook page